Today isn’t April Fool’s, so I guess this must be legit – according to the company blog, Pownce is shutting down, and their employees and technology are moving to a company called Six Apart. I’d never even heard of Six Apart before, but their blog also confirms it.
I wonder whether this is a good thing or a sign of the recession.
To be honest, although I’ve been a member of Pownce for a long time I didn’t really post a lot there. It never really grabbed me as a file sharing tool because of the small maximum file size, and I have my own blog to blog with. Their site was also always trying to sell me premium membership without offering anything that was worth the money.
Related articles by Zemanta
- Pownce Increases File Size Limits
- Pownce Upgrades Itself to More Traditional Filesharing Service
- Pownce opens file sharing to the public with larger sizes to boot
- Pownce: Publicly Share Files via Lifestreams (Why Not?)
- Better Late Than Never: Pownce Gets A Public API