Internet Explorer 8 beta 2 was released yesterday.
I’ve been a fan of Firefox for years, and nowadays I only use IE when I have to (i.e. when someone’s web site only works in IE), but I still keep track of what they’re doing and of course I’m into anything with “beta” written on it.
Beta 1 was a bit of a disappointment because it was a lot slower than IE7 and had a lot of rendering problems on sites I use regularly.
Beta 2 is faster and has less rendering problems than beta 1, but it’s still not release quality.
What I really like about beta 2 are the features they’ve added to keep pace with Firefox:
- Smart Address Bar – so far it seems basically the same as Firefox 3′s smart bar (and there’s nothing wrong with that)
- Favorites Bar -seems a bit smarter than any of Firefox’s bars, not sure how much I’d use the cleverness though
- New Tab Page -Mozilla are only at the Labs stage with coming up with this type of feature
- Tab Grouping -I think there’s a Firefox extension that does this – meh
- Find on Page -as of Firefox v1…
Related articles by Zemanta
- Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2′s (Familiar) New Features [Beta Beat]
- Microsoft Drops IE8 Beta 2 – First Impression
- Me.dium Follows Microsoft into IE8 Beta 2
- Microsoft takes aim at Firefox and Google with IE8
- Windows Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2 Fact Sheet (Microsoft)
- Review: Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2 offers some nifty new features
- IE 8 Could Get “Porn Mode”: Would it Change Your Mind About IE? [Ie 8]